POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #declared Object Usage : Re: #declared Object Usage Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:13:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #declared Object Usage
From: Ken
Date: 30 Jun 1999 18:09:44
Message: <377A9568.2DB7F817@pacbell.net>
David Wilkinson wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:43:09 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> >
> >  When did this become legal syntax and why ?
> >
> >#declare B = box {-1,1}
> >
> >  I have always been under the impression a declared object needed
> >to be wrapped in an object statment to work properly.
> >
> >e.g. object {B}
>
> Yes, this surprised me too Ken.  When I first saw the code I thought - this will
> never work - but it did! It certainly isn't consistent, but I'm not sure that
> it's bad.
> David
>
> ------------
> dav### [at] cwcomnet
> http://www.hamiltonite.mcmail.com
> ------------

There are limits to this insanity. For example this will not work for
what should be obvious reasons --

 #declare B = box {-1,1}
   B translate y*2

  I'm going to try a few other variations and see what if any other little
caveats are possible with this new found loophole. If I find anythig else
worth sharing I will post the results here.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net